Home to the Wildcat basketball and volleyball teams, Charles Field House, was originally dedicated on Oct. 3, 1981. The $1 million facility was made possible by approximately 1,800 donors. It was named in honor of donor Joseph T. Charles, a C-SC Board of Trustee member and a 1960 graduate. The 24,000 square-foot facility held two basketball courts, which converted to one varsity court and seating for 800, two tennis courts that converted to volleyball or badminton courts or a third basketball floor, and a tenth-of-a-mile running track. A weight room, training room, classroom, office suite, locker rooms and lobby completed the 7,600 square-foot air-conditioned ancillary unit.
In 1989, a 10,000 square-foot annex was added to the west side of the field house. The facility was needed due to a dramatic increase in enrollment, intramural sport participation, and student use of the field house. The annex holds a dance studio, offices, racquetball courts, locker rooms, a weight room and a lounge area.
On May 10, 2003, a tornado destroyed the arena portion of the field house. Fortunately, no one was inside the building when the tornado struck. Although the arena area was destroyed, all offices, the athletic training area, dance studio, weight room andracquetball courts inside the field house remained intact. Plans were made to rebuild the damaged arenaarea of the field house, and a tentative completion dateof December 2003 was set.The new Charles Field House features two regulation sized basketball courts that can convert into four smaller basketball courts and two volleyball courts. Seating capacity is nearly 1,500.
Charles Field House officially re-opened on Jan. 5, 2004, with a basketball doubleheader against William Jewell College. It was re-dedicated on Jan. 22, 2004 during a doubleheader against Baker University.
The oldest facility on the Culver-Stockton campus, Ellison A. Poulton Stadium has served as the home of the Wildcat football team since 1948. In 2006, the Richeson Track was constructed and the stadium had an additional tenant with the formation of the track and field team.
The first football game was played in Poulton Stadium on Sept. 18, 1948, when Monmouth College defeated the Wildcats 12-6 in the season opener.
The stadium wasn't dedicated, however, until the Centennial Homecoming on Oct. 17, 1953, when it was named in memory of Poulton, a C-SC graduate and former football star.
The stadium originally contained concrete bleachers with a seating capacity of 1,563; however, C-SC purchased chair-back seats from the old Arrowhead Stadium, home of the Kansas City Chiefs, in 2003 and the stadium now has a capacity of 1,800 spectators. In addition, many fans still bring lawn chairs and sit atop the hill on either side of the stadium. A record crowd of 3,000 attended the 1955 Homecoming game between Culver-Stockton and Central Methodist.
Above the seating area sits the Roy D. Wilcox Memorial Press Box, which replaced the original, one-room press box that was built in 1953. The Wilcox press box, made possible by a gift from the Wilcox family, contains several rooms, including separate rooms for each coaching staff, a media room, a room for game-day personnel, a private room for special guests and a VIP room on the upper level.
The football practice fields, just west of Fraternity Park, opened in the fall of 2002. The practice facility features two-regulation length football fields equipped with goalposts and a film tower. A storage area on site holds all equipment needed for practice.
The jewel of the Wildcat baseball program, Nichols Field, a gift from philanthropists George and Frances Nichols, was built during the summer and fall of 2000 and hosted its first baseball game on April 10, 2001. A symmetrical ballpark, Nichols Field features a grass field, two 120-ft dugouts, an electronic inning-by-inning scoreboard, bullpens located outside the field of play, a hitting cage and storage areas. The Wildcats won their inaugural game at Nichols as Greg Modica no-hit Central Methodist in an 8-0 Wildcat victory.
Grand Opening: April 10, 2001 ... Wildcats sweep doubleheader from Central Methodist (Mo.) College, 8-0 and 3-0.
Location: West of Fraternity Park and south of Ayers Soccer Field on the Culver-Stockton campus.
Dimensions: Left Field Line 335-ft; Left-Center 375-ft; Center 400-ft; Right-Center 375-ft; Right Field Line 335-ft.
Ballpark Firsts: First pitch by Greg Modica at 2:10 p.m. ... Central Methodist leadoff man Kevin Bazat was the first batter ... Chris Shaul was the first Wildcat batter ... First hit was by Wildcat Anthony Blanset ... First run was scored by Joe Manley (driven in on a David Rodrigue double) ... First home run by Wildcat Kris Ingram (vs. Lindenwood / April 14) ... First triple was by Wildcat Chris Shaul ... First double was by Wildcat David Rodrigue ... First stolen base was by Wildcat Pat Fuentes ... First sacrifice bunt by Wildcat Jeff Nicolini ... First sacrifice fly by Wildcat Alex Chavez ... Greg Modica secured the first victory ... First error was by Wildcat Anthony Blanset.
Wildcats’ Record at Nichols Field:
- 2001: 4-4
- 2002: 16-2
- 2003: 5-1
- 2004: 21-6
- 2005: 19-3
- 2006: 22-5
- 2007: 11-9
- 2008: 13-6
- 2009: 16-7
- 2010: 10-6
- 2011: 14-4
- Overall: 151-53 (.740)
Note: In Culver-Stockton's inaugural game at Nichols Field, pitcher Greg Modica pitched a no-hitter as the Wildcats won 8-0.
After sharing the football stadium since the inception of soccer in 1988, the Wildcat soccer programs finally got a place to call their own when the Ayers Soccer Complex was built in 2000. Built north of Nichols Field, Ayers Field features two regulation soccer fields, an electronic scoreboard, bleachers and restrooms. Both the Wildcats and Lady Wildcats christened their new digs in style, winning their opening games at the new complex.
The Cotton Bowl is the home for the Wildcat softball team. Located two blocks north of White Street, the Cotton Bowl features a softball field and baseball field. The softball facility features two dugouts, an electronic scoreboard, bullpens located outside the field of play and lights. In addition to softball, this facility is also used for many intramural activities such as softball, flag football, etc.
The Richeson Track and Field Complex inside Ellison Poulton Stadium was officially dedicated on Friday afternoon, Sept. 7.
Richeson track is named in honor of Sharon Richeson Kennedy and the Richeson family of Rothvile, Mo. The first track meet was held on April 18, 2008, a dual meet between the Wildcats and Hannibal-LaGrange College. The Richeson complex features an 8-lane all-weather track, two long jump pits, a pole vault pit and high jump area.
Funds for the new track and corresponding construction on Poulton Stadium were raised through gifts from individuals and foundations.
Defargo Sports Surfaces of Austin, Texas, installed the main surface, and Bleigh Construction of Hannibal, Mo., prepared the concrete and asphalt underneath the main surface and the surrounding retaining wall.
The track serves not only the Wildcat track and field program but also the Canton R-V High school track field team. It will also be utilized by other C-SC athletic teams for training and provides the campus and local residents a place for recreation and fitness.
The Activity and Recreation Center, built in 2003, is used for fitness and wellness activities, intramural events and athletic practices. It features a basketball court and two volleyball courts, with moveable bleachers. A fitness center opened in September 2004. The center features exercise machines, including treadmills, elliptical machines and stationary bicycles, plus free weights and a universal machine.