Develop specialized knowledge to use in teaching and implementing a physical and health education program. With a C-SC degree in physical education you will be certified to teach grades K-12.
- As early as freshman year, through classes and the Culver-Stockton Teachers' Organization, students can volunteer at Canton Elementary School to monitor recess, work in the after-school program or assess students' ability levels.
- During the professional semester, students experience 15 weeks of full-time teaching.
- A host teacher and C-SC supervisors monitor student work and serve as mentors and role models.
- Instructors help students prepare professional portfolios, a resume and set up practice interviews before graduation.
- This K-12 certification prepares candidates who want to teach lifetime fitness skills to students in elementary through secondary school.
- Students are taught how to use and apply heart rate monitors and pedometers in activity settings, as well as nutrition evaluation and health-risk assessments.
- Students can double major in health education.
- Graduates in physical education find career opportunities teaching in public or private educational settings, coaching athletic programs that include higher-education institutes, community sporting positions with parks and recreation facilities and local organizations.
- Opportunities are also available for students to join professional state and national organizations, participate in athletics or join service-learning groups.
William Schneider, Head of Physical Education Department
Ph: (573) 288-6319
CLICK HERE to download this major's Fact Sheet for more information.
For a full list of Education Faculty, Click Here.