Welcome to the Division of Humanities
The mission of the Humanities Division is to challenge students to foster appreciation for the liberal arts tradition and to challenge students to explore and express what it means to be human through the insights of history, literature, philosophy, and religion.
We accomplish this through the following objectives:
- To create a rigorous intellectual environment that combines the best practices of active learning with the rich content of the humanities disciplines
- To develop students’ ability to read, write, and think critically and creatively
- To mentor students in the methods of exploring historical, literary, and theological contexts of their own and other cultures
- To promote ethical decision-making for global citizenship
- To inculcate in students a passion for lifelong learning
How do we accomplish these objectives?
- Through small professor-guided classes and discussion
- Through creative endeavors
- Through domestic and international travel opportunities
- Through internships
- Through real-life on- and off-campus classroom teaching situations for our education majors