Culver-Stockton College — Its Founding
Culver-Stockton College was chartered by leaders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as Christian University in 1853. Classes began in 1855. During the Civil War, classes were suspended while federal troops occupied the school's only building. Mr. Robert Stockton and Mrs. Mary Culver of St. Louis played vital roles in the school's history and in 1919 the trustees directed that the name of the college be changed to Culver-Stockton College. Although the College is governed by an independent Board of Trustees, it continues to value its relationship with its founding denomination and the Canton community.