Crime Prevention and Safety Awareness
Culver-Stockton offers crime prevention and safety awareness programs. Campus Safety and other outside agencies provide information, talks and programs on topics such as:
- Rape and Sexual Risk Reduction
- Domestic Violence Education
- Workplace Violence Education
- Personal Safety
- Rape Aggression Defense System (R.A.D.)
- Alcohol and Drug Awareness
- Travel Safety
- Fire Extinguisher Use
- Get Out and Stay Alive/Surviving the Fire
- Weather Safety/Preparedness
- Walk or jog in groups of three or more.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware of crimes on campus.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Travel with confidence or purpose.
- Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.
- If you do not have a travel companion, use the escort service provided by Campus Safety no matter how short the trip.
- Before exiting the building or car, look around for suspicious behavior.
- If confronted by a situation, try to remain calm.
- If it is safe to do so, try and get detailed information about suspect(s) and/or vehicle(s).
- Before parking at night call Campus Safety so we know your location and can do a drive-by.
- Know the locations of outdoor emergency phones.
- Do not use ATMs (automated bank teller machines) alone, at night, or when someone suspicious may be nearby.
- Avoid strangers; you do not have to talk to them.
- If you are being followed, go to the nearest area of safety.
- Stay alert and always plan ahead for “what if”.
Residential/ Workplace Safety
- Know your neighbors and co-workers; you are the best to determine who does not belong.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- When entering a building with access controls in place, do not allow strangers to enter behind you.
- Always lock your door when you leave, sleep or work late.
- If you see someone who seems suspicious or out of place, call Campus Safety at ext. 6300.
Protecting Your Property
- Record the serial numbers of your belongings. Engrave or permantly mark items with a unique identifying number.
- Keep your car locked; store items out of sight in your office/room.
- Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up.
Call ext. 6300 for on campus safety issues. Call 911 if you need outside assistance.